Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Extra, mega Ultra SPICY home-made Nandos



If Nandos did a delivery service then I am sure I am not the only one to swear that they would be the no 1 customer. But unfortunately they don't (Or maybe fortunately, as I'm sure eating it 5 days a week would get boring pretty fast!)



So what do you do when you can't be bothered to leave the house? Or when its 10pm and you NEED that chicken-y goodness- Or maybe you just fancy amazing your Nandos-loving friends/partner/mum! You must do as I and try to recreate the magic at home!



My standard order goes a little like this: Quarter chicken extra hot with chips/corn and salad, halloumi and perinaise. I know I should branch out more, and in the past I have, but this is my favourite combo! This is what I will take on to replicate in my little personal challenge! Let me warn you though, I like my food HOT HOT HOT! So if you don't like the feeling of a bonfire in your mouth, I would advise you to leave out the majority if not all of the additional chilli extras I add in.

So basic ingredients are:
Chicken & Marinade (Save a little for the corn):
Either a half chicken or chicken thighs
Nandos sauce (heat of your own chosing)
6 birds eye chillies
4 cloves of garlic
A splash of fresh lemon juice
Extra hot chilli powder
Creme Fraiche
Bajan Chilli Sauce

Fries with peri salt:
1/2 Sweet potato per person 
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Chilli powder
A little sprinkle each of salt, pepper & sugar.
(If your spice cupboard is a little unadventurous- generic cajan spice will do the trick!)

Perinaise: 
1 tbsp Creme fraiche
1 tbsp Mayo
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2 tsp extra hot chilli powder

Sides:
1 mini corn on the cob per person
1/4 Halloumi pack per person


It pays to be organised at this point, try and marinate the chicken the day before you plan to eat it. This will allow the flavours to be absorbed into the chicken and give it a much richer flavour.
I am sometimes know to be quite organised, so ideally I will get my chicken marinading the night before. Score the skin of the chicken lightly, pop it in some tuppaware (or a bowl you can cover) pour over the marinade ingredients, and stir until everything is dripping in saucy goodness! Cover and leave in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes, ideally though for 24 hours.



I use chicken thighs, as my griddle pan is a little too weeny to accept a whole, a half or even a quarter! It cooks pretty fast though so there are benefits! You can use breast, but I would always recommend using the dark meat- much more flavoursome and juicy! Im sure you'll be a convert if you try it!
Chuck the Chicken in a griddle pan on a low to medium heat, and leave to sizzle for about 35-40 minutes (make sure you check the middle of the thigh is cooked before serving)     

     

Whilst this is on, coat some wedges of sweet potato with your spice mix & a drizzle of oil and pop in the oven on a baking tray for about 30 minutes.



After about 15 minutes, add the your corn to any marinade leftover and if there is room then add to the grill pan with the chicken. The corn should pick up some of the flavour from the chicken fat and any caramelised sauce.



Perinaise is a quick and easy mix together, add the ingredients in a bowl and put to one side until you are ready to serve.



When everything is looking and smelling like it is ready to eat, take your chicken out of the griddle and leave to rest whilst you plate up the rest of the meal. Throw the halloumi in a hot pan with the tiniest bit of fat to stop it sticking, and dry(ish) fry until both sides are golden brown.




I like to put everything in big piles on the table and let everyone help themselves! Terracotta bowls and little flags optional


Just drool….. :) 

(Also this manages to come in at only 430 cals per person, shhh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment