Friday, 10 May 2013

La Trompette review


The bank holiday and the gorgeous weather that accompanied it seem a million miles away at the moment!


Just look at the sky! *sigh*

We ended our blissful time off with a little drive around the area we are hoping to move to soon, and thought we would check out another restaurant in the area while we were there (any excuse!)



So to La Trompette, named, we found out from a lovely chatty maitre'd (I think, I was absent for the introduction) after the trompette mushroom. They have recently undergone a massive renovation and the decor has changed from cozy and warm to light and airy, perfect for an early dinner on the terrace outside which we opted for.

It may boast sister restaurants of Chez Bruce and The Glasshouse, have a Michelin star and Rob Weston as head chef (he was previously at the 2* The Square in Mayfair) but the atmosphere here is relaxed, intimate and much less formal than you will find in any of London's best restaurants.

I opted for a bellini whilst I looked over the menu- which is only available when you arrive. Too often I spend ages poring over a menu online in anticiaption of what I will pick, so this was a welcome change, allowing me to select what I wanted at that moment instead.

Fresh bread rolls, warm from the oven and salted butter were brought for us to graze on until our main dishes arrived- butter melting as fast as it was spread on :)


Our starters arrived, I had opted for Raviolo of Dorset Crab with scallop and champagne veloute.


Beneath the sweet and slightly sharp, tasty champagne foam lay a giant raviolo filled to burst with gorgeous white crab meat. The scallop veloute had a strong yet creamy taste and worked with the crab and champagne perfectly- Sublime dish!


My date went for the Tartare of veal, white asparagus, artichokes, grilled cauliflower, tuna cream and parmesan- I must admit the amount of ingrediants made me wondered how they would work together. Doubts were soon brushed away as soon as I had a mouthful though! The veal, tuna and parmesan enhanced the strength and flavour of each other, the earthiness of the vegetables added to the umami party in my mouth!


For my main I opted for the Roast turbot with garlic puree, morels, chanterelles, potato galette and thyme butter. The fillet was a lovely large thick peice of fish, and had a lovely firm texture. Pan frying had left it with a tasty crisp brown coating, but the purity of the flavour of the turbot within had still been preserved. The mushrooms, garlic and thyme flavours hardly need a mention- they tasted as amazing as I thought they would :)


Roast suckling pig with smoked creamed potato and vinagrette was a gogreous mix of crispy, salty cracking, moist pork, creamy smoky mash and sharp llittle pickles, which cut through the fat and really enliveling an already great dish.



Being a little full, I opted for the dessert of Rhubarb sorbet with blood orange segments.
It was sweet and tart, delicious and light. A taste of a british summer garden with a little exotic addition of a few crunchy pomegrante seeds and passion fruit flesh.

I wish I had a plate to myself of the Chocolate pave with milk ice cream and candied hazlenuts though!


Oh it was amazing! Rich, oh so rich! It was like eating a big mouthful of beautiful firm ganache. You found yourself closing your eyes and letting out an involuntary "mmmm" while you let it melt in your mouth. The hazlenuts added texture and sweetness to the smooth pave- Just perfect!

As we settled back into our chairs to chat & watch the evening fade we imagined ourselves in our dream house just around the corner, popping into what is the most amazing 'local' restaurant I have eaten at.

Excellent service, amazing food and the relaxed and friendly atmosphere make La Trompette a breath of fresh air, well worth the trip across london!

La Trompette
5-7 Devonshire Road
Chiswick
W4 2EU

La Trompette on Urbanspoon Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment