Tuesday, 23 July 2013

The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable review



Looking over my shoulder at the figure behind me, I wondered if he would follow me through the gap I just found in the coats that hung in the wardrobe...
I couldn't tear my eyes away from the vulnerably naked man who after whirring and dancing through spotlights along the sandy floor, knelt, spent, throwing the sand over his head...
Pick your seat carefully and concentrate on the card on front of you, concentrate on what you want most in this world....
Greedily I rushed into the dressing rooms, reaching for and frantically reading sweethearts letters, picking up and discarding clothing and makeup before a commotion in the next room dragged away my attention..
Placing a bloody teardrop on my mask from the bottle I found in the medical room, I wondered if people would suspect me as a stooge as much as I suspected everyone with a white mask...
Knowing I was on my own, lost sent through me a rush of exhilaration as I slowed down and allowed myself to be led, following my own inquisitiveness..

These were just a few of the scenes in my head I have taken away from Punchdrunk's: Drowned man, A Hollywood Fable. With a mask on your face, you are invited to walk around an immersive and elaborate set full of props you can touch and actors who interact. There are hundreds of sets within, secret passages, constant performances happening somewhere, no set route or path laid out for you to follow. Every persons experience of this amazing event will be different, I've listened jealously to friends descriptions of rooms I never saw and unexpected interactions I perhaps missed by holding onto my friends for the most part. I came out a bit speechless :)

If you are in London and haven't made plans to visit yet, please do! I am about to book tickets for a second visit so I can submerge myself in a world of wonder again..

Tickets are £47.50 here..



No comments:

Post a Comment